Josh Phelps got the call to St. Louis, while Jaime Garcia was sent down and Mark Mulder was shifted to the 60-day DL. In the same article LaRussa hints that Garcia will probably not get a September call up due to the number of innings he has already pitched this season. I approve of that line of thinking, especially after he had the elbow strain at the end of last season.
Four teams were in action today, all the details are after the jump.
- Mitchell Boggs had a rough start, giving up four runs on nine hits and two walks over five innings. He struck out four.
- Ron Flores pitched a pair of scoreless innings and Kelvin Jimenez pitched a scoreless frame.
- Jason Motte got the save by pitching a perfect ninth, striking out two.
- Jarrett Hoffpauir was 2-4 with a homerun.
- David Freese was 1-4 with a double.
- Tyler Greene and Bryan Anderson were each 1-3. Anderson also walked.
- Donovan Solano was 1-4 with a three run homer.
- James Rapoport was 1-3 with a double and a walk.
- Daniel Descalso, Allen Craig and Brett Wallace were each 1-4.
- Justin Fiske was outstanding, allowing only one run on five hits and a walk, while striking out five over six innings.
- Josh Kinney threw a perfect inning in his rehab appearance, striking out a pair.
- Marco Gonzalez gave up a pair of runs on three hits in only a third of an inning, but Fernando Salas came in and shut the door, throwing 1.2 perfect innings for the save.
St. Lucie 1, Palm Beach 9 (Game One)
- Nick Additon pitched great, allowing only an unearned run over six innings on three hits and a walk. He struck out four.
- The Casey Mulligan Experience pitched a scoreless inning, striking out a pair.
- Matthew Arburr was 2-4 with a pair of doubles.
- Antonio DeJesus and Paul Vasquez were each 2-3.
- Mike Folli was 2-3 with a triple and Brian Cartie was 2-3 with a double.
- Steve Hill was 1-4 with a double and Charles Kingrey was 1-3 with a triple.
St. Lucie 2, Palm Beach 1 (Game Two)
- The Cards should have saved some of their hits from the first game, as singles by Antonio DeJesus and Mike Folli were the only hits on the game.
- Brian Cartie was 0-1 with a pair of walks and a stolen base.
- Eddie Degerman and Pete Parise each pitched a pair of scoreless innings.
- Wayne Daman gave up a pair of runs over three innings on one hit and two walks (the one hit was a homer). He struck out two.
- Francisco Rivera was 2-3 with a walk.
- Adron Chambers was 2-4.
- Curt Smith was 1-3 and Roberto Espinoza was 2-3 with a walk.
- Jameson Maj had a rough night, giving up four runs on seven hits and a walk over 4.2 innings.
- Scott McGregor gave up two hits and a walk over 2.1 scoreless innings.
- Jared Bradford threw a scoreless inning.
Batavia and Mohoning Valley were Postponed
Colby Rasmus was 2-4 with a double and a walk in the Gulf Coast League.