Sorry for the tardiness this DFR. Just one team is still standing.
Matthew Leach confirms the Cards will not call up Colby and concludes that it is the right decision. I know we already knew that Colby would not be up, but Leach’s reasoning as to why not is hard to argue with.
Last night was the first night of the NYPL playoffs. MiLB.com looks at who’s who on the Muckdog roster. (Minor quibble: Um, Gorgen was not an all star, unless you are talking about his twin brother Matt. He probably should have been, but was not.)
Batavia 3, Lowell 4 (12 innings)
- Edwin Gomez went 3-5 with a double.
- Charles Cutler doubled and walked.
- Hector Cardenas struck out ten in six innings pitched and allowed just one hit, but walked four and allowed one earned run.
- The ‘dogs allowed a two-run, eighth-inning lead slip away no thanks to Ramon Delgado and the normally solid Adam Reifer. Reifer fanned three in 1.1 innings of work but a pair of hits and walks, including a HR against Will Middlebrooks.
- Jason Buursma walked a pair and allowed a pair of hits over 1.2. Zach Pitts didn’t allow any of his Buursma’s runners to score, but then walked three and allowed a hit in the 12th.
The Muckdogs are now down 1-0 in the NYPL Playoffs against Lowell, a Red Sox affiliate that is within about a half hour of driving distance from Fenway Park. C’mon boys! “Red Sawx Nation” is enough to make a person sick, so please stop them! Side note: Any time I see a person with a Boston hat in Iowa, I think to myself the “B” must stand for Bandwagon.