Matthew Leach chatted with fans today, and answered some prospect related questions:
Q: Is Colby Rasmus going to play winter ball anywhere, since he isn’t being called up?
Leach: My understanding is that he will play in a winter league somewhere, though I don’t know that it’s been determined where. Puerto Rico with Jose Oquendo might be a good fit, but the competition level in that league may not be up to the old standards this year.
Q: What do you think of a back end of the bullpen of Motte and Perez in 2009?
Leach: I’d say more likely 2010 for those two guys going the eighth and ninth back-to-back. I’m very high on both of them, but I’m not convinced that immediately is the time. Put it this way: Perez is much more likely to be the guy in the ninth next year than Motte is to be the guy in the eighth at the start of the year. Motte will likely be in the mix, but I suspect they’ll bring him along somewhat carefully at first.
Q: When, if at all, will the Cardinals see David Freese?
Leach: Ideally, late next year, with an eye toward figuring out whether he’s Glaus’ replacement in 2010.
- The Muckdogs were down 8-2 but scored six runs in the sixth and five more in the seventh.
- Charles Cutler went 4-4 with a walk.
- Chris Swauger continues to rake. He doubled twice and drove in four runs.
- The quirky Dirtbag Shane Peterson went 3-4 with a double and a walk.
- Thomas Eager struck out five in two innings, but allowed four earned runs on five hits and two walks.
- George Brown allowed three more runs on three hits and three walks over three innings with four K’s.
- Arquimedes Nieto allowed five hits and a walk but only allowed one run. He struck out two.
- Jason Buursma recorded the final out, stranding two runners.