John Sickels is back from his trip to the Arizona Fall League and has some thoughts on the Walrus, amongst others.
Brett Wallace, 3B, St. Louis Cardinals: Huge butt. Like Bob Hamelin type butt. But his bat is absolutely for real. Massive power potential to all fields and he should hit for average as well. On defense, he has the arm for third base. He has more range than you might expect, and I think he can be a below-average but not horrible defender at third in the short run. The problem I see is what happens when he starts, inevitably, to lose his range. Even a minor diminution in mobility will make him untenable at third. But the bat, yeah, I love the bat.
Arizona Fall League
- Shane Robinson goes 3-for-6, with all three hits going for doubles.
- Playing as the Saguoros DH, Brett Wallace homered for his only hit in four AB. He also drew a walk and some comments from scouts in the stands regarding the size of his posterior.
- Playing 3B Tyler Greene went 1-for-5 with a double and struck out three times.
- Justin Fiske allowed a run on two hits with one K in his one relief inning. Box
Hawaii Winter Baseball
- Tony Cruz went 2-for-4 with a double and a walk playing as the team’s catcher.
- James Rapoport went 0-for-5 with two K’s.
- Blake King had an eruption of wildness. He recorded two out before getting yanked; he allowed two runs on a hit and four walks. He struck out one and was called for a balk. Box
Dominican Winter League