Steve Batterson offers some insight into the Quad Cities roster. There’s some interesting names there including Niko Vazquez, Osvaldo Morales, Aaron Luna, Jon Edwards, Deryk Hooker and Scott McGregor. There’s also players like Gary Daley — you win some you lose some. And something that makes our evaluations a lot more difficult:
Quad-Cities will continue to use the tandem-starter system with its pitchers early in the season and expects to open with 13 pitchers on the roster.
Ben Badler has a scouting report of Amaury Castillo from the Dominican League
Castillo has a power arm that delivers low-90s fastballs out of a high three-quarters arm slot, with enough projection to potentially throw in the mid-90s down the road. [...] Castillo has a breaking ball that he’ll need to improve to become a reliable second pitch, and though he has a changeup, he didn’t show the pitch much last year.
This is the last Vuch Report so enjoy the thoroughness. We’ve got a hockey record tonight as the farm goes 1-1-1. Aside: How bout them Blues? I’m almost a bandwagon hockey fan. On with the baseball!
Springfield 3, Jacksonville 5
- Kyle Mura pitched 3 innings allowing 4 hits for 2 runs (1 earned). He struck out 4. I’m unsure what to make of Mura overall. Moderate strikeout rates but excellent command. Working his way up the ladder in a steady fashion without flashing anything to stand out. Average stuff that doesn’t stand out. He’s got to stop climbing eventually, right? Hasn’t yet. . .
- Justin Fiske got hit hard. They’ll convert Todd to relief (questionable decision) but they leave this lefting starting (more questionable decision). He could be in the majors now as a lefty reliever had the Cardinals not converted him to a starter last year. He allowed 9 hits and 3 ER in 4 IP while striking out 4 today.
- Elvis Hernandez walked 2 and allowed a hit in his scoreless inning.
- Pete Parise pitched a one hit inning.
- Daniel Descalso was 2-for-4 with a triple.
- Daryl Jones doubled.
- Tony Cruz singled for the only other Springfield hit.
Palm Beach 2, Jupiter 2
- Richard Castillo struck out 3 over 3 innings. He also allowed 5 hits for 2 ER.
- Mark Diapoules walked 2 and 1 hit while striking out 2 in 3IP.
- Thomas Eager, Blake King and Adam Reifer each pitched a scoreless frame. King struck out the side and Reifer struck out 2. They each allowed a hit and King walked 1.
- Shane Peterson was 2-for-2 with a walk.
- Adron Chambers walked twice.
- Singles: Charlie Kingrey, Paul Vasquez, Pete Kozma
Quad Cities 6, Greensboro 2
- Arquimedes Nieto struck out 5 over 2 frames walking 1. Probably the best Cardinal outing of the day.
- Adam Veres struck out 2 in 2 IP allowing 1 hit.
- Miguel Tapia allowed an unearned run with a walk and a hit.
- Santo Maertz struck out the side.
- Jorge Rondo allowed an ER and 2 hits in an inning.
- Ramon Delgado struck out 3 and allowed a hit.
- Paul Cruz was 3-for-5 with a double and a triple.
- Alex Castellanos was 2-for-4 with a SB.
- Domnit Bolivar, headed for Quad Cities, went 2-for-4.
- Niko Vazquez doubled and walked. Walked right into my heart.
- Osvaldo Morales had a single.
- Roberto Espinoza doubled.