As everyone probably knows by now, Brian Barton, the outfielder has been dealt to Atlanta for relief pitcher Blaine Boyer. I did like Barton a lot and I think he’ll be a good player and I wish him the best of luck. However, at this point, I don’t have a huge problem with this deal. Barton was getting passed on the depth chart by other outfielders, and the Cardinals are dealing from their depth to solve problems with the big club.
For Memphis, this cements the outfield as Jon Jay, Shane Robinson and Joe Mather.
Memphis and Springfield were the only two teams in action tonight and the system went 2-0.
DFR goodness after the jump!
- Kat Maekawa – emergency starter mock 2 – did much better this time and shutout OKC over 4 innings with 4 Ks and only one walk.
- Matthew Scherer got in trouble in his second inning of work with two walks and Hoffpauir error.
- Royce Ring came in to put out the fire, but did not bring his fire hose as he threw a wild pitch which allowed a inherited run to score. He had the double of a blown save and the win.
- Jess Todd closed the door with two perfect innings for the save. He had two strikeouts.
- Tyler Greene, SS was 2-5 with a walk.
- Joe Mather, RF was 0-4 with 1 strikeout. He is batting .053 on the year.
- Nick Stavinoha, 1B was 2-4.
- Jarrett Hoffpauir, 2B was 2-2 with two walks and was exciting every time he got on the basepaths. He scored one run. Got a stolen base. Got caught stealing. And he was also picked off 1st.
- Kyle Mura started this game and went 6 blah innings. He gave up 7 hits and 4 runs. But, he did strikeout 3 vs. 0 walks.
- Tyler Norrick followed Mura as it seems like he pitches every night. He went two shutout innings with 3 strikeouts and 1 walk.
- Kristhiam Linares – yes that’s his real name, closed out the game with 1 inning, 2 walks and 1 strikeout.
- Steve Hill continues to hit as he was playing catcher and went 3-4 with 2 HRs and 4 RBIs.
- Brett Wallace, 3B went 3-5.
- James Rapoport, CF was 2-5 with 2 runs scored. He was batting leadoff. He also had a stolen base.
- Daniel Descalso, 2B justifies his article over at The Cardinal Nation by going 2-4 with a RBI.
- Tyler Henley was DH’ing and went 1-3 with a walk and 2 RBIs.