‘I think that he may have a quicker opportunity to be a reliever at the next level,” Redbirds pitching coach Blaise Ilsley said. ”Plus, having Otto here kind of gave us six starters so it made more sense to make that move at that point.”
I love this part of the article because it’s such blatant crap. They’ve had starters called up and, after being down a few pitchers, Jess Todd is . . . still in the flipping bullpen. I don’t know if the reporter got this quote before the season began or if Ilsley is just a few screws loose but it’s obviously hooey. If that’s the decision, fine. The logic being presented in the article is obviously fallacious.
Jess Todd is a reliever and the Cardinals have shown no inclination of moving him back. Maybe that’s what Todd wants (the article insiuates that though there’s no direct quote) but he’s not a starter and the Cardinals have even gone outside the organization to make sure it stays that way.
“Am I a strikeout pitcher? I don’t know,” said Norrick, a sixth-round pick in 2006 out of Southern Illinois. “It looks like it right now.”
I don’t know either but his stuff sure seems to be playing up in the pen.
Matt Baker has more on Lance Lynn who, if you weren’t already reading the comments on this blog, has been promoted to Springfield. Elvis Hernandez heads to the DL with a strained oblique. Chuckie Fick gets the call from Palm Beach and Jonny Bravo heads to the QC as a result.
Memphis was postponed.
- Pete Kozma (I always think of Peter Keating when I type Kozma — he just wants everyone to appreciate him) went 1-for-4.
- Brett Wallace was 1-for-3 with a double and a walk.
- Tyler Henley had the only other hit with a single in 3 ABs.
- Springfield mustered a pitiful 6 baserunners with 3 hits and 3 walks.
- Ryan Kulik went 5 innings with 5 hits, 2 walks and 1 strikeout. He allowed 2 ER.
- Eddie Degermen pitched the remaining 3 innings allowing 1 run on 2 hits, 1 BB and w Ks.
- Adron Chambers was 2-for-5 with a double.
- Colt Sedbrook was 1-for-4 with a walk.
- Francisco Rivera was 2-for-3.
- Brian Broderick tossed 6 solid inning with the only blemish being a 2-run HR to Michael Staunton, a rising outfield prospect. Broderick allowed 3 hits, 1 BB and 1 K.
- Sam Freeman allowed 1 hit and struck out 1 in 2 scoreless innings.
- Eduardo Sanchez took the blown save allowing his own 2 run HR after hitting a batter. He struck out 2 in the inning as his ERA rose to 1.80.
- Brett Lilley went 2-for-6.
- Niko Vasquez had a double and a walk in 6 PAs.
- Paul Cruz, playing the OF, went 2-for-4 with a walk.
- Osvaldo Morales went 2-for-3 with a HBP and a double.
- Chris Swauger took one two for the team going 0-for-2 with a walk and 2 HBP.
- Jon Edwards went yard.
- Kevin Thomas threw 5 perfect innings striking out 2.
- Hector Cardenas allowed the 4 runs (3 earned) on 6 hits in the remaining 4 innings of the game. He struck out 2 and walked 2.