erik in 2009 MLB Draft, tags: Aaron Crow, chad james, jacob turner, josh phegley, kyle gibson, matt purke, mike minor, randal grichuk, rex brothers
Bernie had an interesting interview with Keith Law today. I recommend listening to it in full, but here are the highlights:
- Jacob Turner is looking for Rick Porcello money, and says that while Turner is very, very good, he’s not on Rick’s level. I’m bracing myself for the pyscho-fest if he slips past Detroit (where Law currently projects him to g0) and then slips past the Cardinals. If that scenario plays out and you want to flip out, feel free to do so here, but within reason. If you really want to go overboard, there is plenty of room for you at other forums.
- Matt Purke also is looking for Porcello money. For that matter, most of the top high school arms are. Law doesn’t believe Purke is worth the money, fears his future may lie in the bullpen.
- Believes there is some real legs to the Cardinals drafting Pollock. Law currently ranks Pollock 32nd overall on his board, but says he’d be in his top 10 if he can play shortstop. Believes there could be some value to be had in drafting him.
- Kyle Gibson’s medicals are not good. Believes he’ll slip out of first round entirely.
- Aaron Crow could slip as well, due to bonus demands.
- Grichuk would be a reach of epic proportions. Wasn’t impressed with his lack of ability to adjust to advanced pitching.
- Law thinks the Cardinals would favor HS LHP Chad James over some of the perceivably “safer” college LHP, such as Rex Brothers.
- Sounds like the Cardinals board could look like: Pollock, James, Brothers, Minor and Grichuk. I’m reading a little bit into Minor, Law didn’t actually say Minor, IIRC. Being that the club worked out Phegley today as well, he could also be in the mix. I think Grichuk and Phegley are possibly more what they are looking for in the 2nd round, or at least I hope so.
- Law is level-headed about not neccessarily drafting for upside with first pick. Certainty isn’t bad when you are investing a lot of money at the start, high upside guys to be had in 2nd and 3rd rounds.