The Cardinals play on ESPN and get dominated by Cliff Lee. If you’ve come here for good news, go try the LOLcats site or something. The farm system decided to collectively crap the bed in conjunction with the big league team.
- I don’t even want to know who pitched in this game.
- HAHAHAHA.* Casey Rowlett pitched the 9th. Call him up!!! He’s the new Aaron Miles!
- Kat Maekawa started and pitched 4 innings allowing 3 unearned runs. He wasn’t terrible striking out 3 and walking 3.
- Ian Ostlund was terrible. He allowed 9 runs in the 5th retiring just 2 batters.
- Jarrett Hoffpauir was 1-for-4 but did hit a HR.
- Khalil Greene got the start at 3rd. I don’t know what to say about the Cardinals’ handling of this situation. On one hand you want to applaud them for not abandoning Greene and working with him. On the other hand, if his bat isn’t going to play at SS, it isn’t going to play at 3rd. Now you’ve got him taking at bats from Wallace in Memphis.
- Brett Wallace did pinch hit but was 0-for-1. This looks like a horrible rush job by the Cardinals. He’s got a .607 OPS in Memphis.
- Daryl Jones, Pete Kozma and Daniel Descalso each went 1-for-4.
- Mark Hamilton doesn’t seem like the same player that was re-establishing himself as a potential prospect. He went 0-for-4 again with 3 Ks.
- Brian Broderick pitched 6 innings allowing 6 runs (4 ER) on 9 hits and 1 walk. He struck out 2.
- Adron Chambers was 1-for-4 with a double and a walk.
- Shane Peterson was 2-for-4. The power hasn’t shown up for Peterson this year though he’s shown good plate discipline. He’s hitting .296/.362/.422 on the season.
- Nick Additon lasted just 3 innings allowing 3 ER. After posting a 2.50 ERA last year in QC and striking out nearly a batter an inning, Palm Beach has been a rough go of it for the command and control lefty. The walks are coming at a much higher pace and the strikeouts have slowed. That makes for a bad combination although his ERA of 3.52 doesn’t look terrible, this hasn’t been a good start for Additon.
- Adam Reifer pitched a scoreless frame allowing 1 hit and striking out 2.
- Frederick Perejo and Travis Mitchell were both 2-for-4. Mitchell doubled.
- QC had 8 hits but only one extra base hit.
- A solid start for Hector Cardenas who allowed 3 ER over 6 innings. He walked 0 batters but had 7 hits against striking out 4.
- Ramon Delgado finished off the game pitching 2 innings striking out 2 and allowing 2 hits.
The Cardinals farm system has petitioned to use aluminum bats to help their entire system break out of it’s recent slump. The request was denied but MiLB administrators suggested they contact the recently retired Sammy Sosa about how to properly feign ignorance of corked bats. Serious consideration is being given to this suggestion. The major league club offered some of their bats to the minor league teams as a pick me up for the youngsters. They were returned with a note that read, “we wanted better bats, not purses.” Skip Schumaker thought it brought out the color of his eyes.
*Laugh or cry. You pick.