EDITOR’S NOTE: I have no idea what is going on with the server. It’s been really slow the last few days but I’ve just spent the last hour trying to get this DFR published and am doing so now post-haste hoping to get it in before it crashes again.
Is there any more beautiful a place in minor league baseball to play than under the bridge in the Quad Cities? I went to a Scrappers game this week (who have the coolest hat logo ever) and all we got was a nice view of the woods or the mall parking lot. Still a lot of fun, $5 for seats right next to the scouts behind homeplate only 2 rows back. It pays to have friends in the team’s offices!
The system lost 2 in blowouts, won 2 in 2 run games and was rained out in the last. The Jump!
- Jarrett Hoffpauir, Futures Game participant Brett Wallace and Jon Jay all had a hit.
- Mark Shorey picked up the only other hit with a double.
- Shane Robinson, who played CF, gunned a runner out at 1B.
- The wheels have come off PJ Walters. Whatever voodoo Brad Thompson and Todd Wellemeyer are putting on PJ isn’t a joke anymore. He gave up 6 runs on 11 hits in his 4.2 innings. He did strike out 6, which was nice, but he gave up 2 longballs in a park that it is hard to do so, which wasn’t so nice.
- Ian Ostlund mopped things up for 3.1 innings of relief. He gave up a run on 4 hits.
- Matthew Scherer was perfect in his inning.
- In Arkansas League action, Pete Kozma (double and 2 RBI) and Daniel Descalso (1 HR and 3 RBI) went 2-for-4 as the double-play combo.
- Stephen Hill and Tony Cruz both went deep.
- Antonio DeJesus was 2-for-3.
- Brandon Dickson, who I honestly believe might be 12 years old, was solid. He struck out 7 over 6 innings. Despite giving up 8 hits, he only walked 1 and limited Arkansas 3 ER (5 R).
- Marco Gonzalez gave up 2 of those runs for Dickson, but none for himself. Those 2 hits came in the first part of his 1.1 innings.
- Sam Freeman finished the final 1.2 and struck out 4 for his first Arkansas League save.
- Aaron Luna was 2-for-2 with 2 walks. He drove in 3 to go along with a double.
- Tommy Pham was 2-phor-3 with 3 runs scored.
- George Brown gave up all the (5) runs tonight. Those came in his 4.1 innings on 6 hits, 2 walks and 2 strikeouts.
- Jorge Rondon was equalitarian giving up 3 hits but erasing 3 batters with strikeouts in 2.1 innings.
- Casey Mulligan for the win! 1 walk, 1 strikeout and 2 hits over 1.1 innings.
- Adam Reifer, undazed by all the drug busts in the system, picked up his 9 save with 2 strikeouts.
- Fredriko Parejo was the offense tonight and even that didn’t come till the 9th. He hit a 3 run HR for the only scoring on the River Bandit side.
- The other offense went to Roberto Espinoza (double) and Jose Garcia (single).
- Tony LaRussa would be so proud. The River Bandits used 8 (count them!) pitchers in this game, only 1 of them pitching more than an inning. THIS IS WHY YOU NEED 13 PITCHERS, ALL YOU COMPUTER NERDS IN YOUR MOTHER’S BASEMENTS.
- Gary Daley gave up 7 hits and 7 runs in 2 innings. The 2 HRs didn’t help and the 2 strikeouts didn’t help much either.
- Miguel Chinese-Tapia yielding 3 ERs in his inning.
- Captain Joel Luc Pichardo gave up a hit and struck out a better in 1 inning.
- Andres Rosales gave up a run on 2 hits.
- Matthew Frevert (2 strikeouts), Ramon Delgado and Adam Veres were perfect.
- Scott McGregor was all about numero uno. 1 hit, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 run.
Batavia was beating up on Jamestown 5-1 but the game was suspended because of rain. The game will be completed on July 2nd, which is a Thursday…so I’ll give you the numbers then!
The Cardinals at the Major League level find themselves a RH OF bat away from being competent offensively, but to be honest, they find themselves 2 starters away from having a full rotation. When Lohse returns, if he returns to his normal levels, that leaves one spot left. No one in the system seems to be stepping up to take spot. Which not only means they are pitching for their own jobs but they are pitching for the spot of some other prospect who will likely have to be dealt at some point for starting pitching. Stop being so selfish, PJ Walters! I keed.