This is the first of the bi-weekly GCL updates. Keep in mind that these stats are to be ingested with a grain of salt as the GCL is the most informal of all minor leagues and there is a sample-size warning with all these numbers.
So, with that in mind, I’ll check in on three “names” on the GCL roster, three players who have played well and three players who have played not so well.
The GCL Cardinals have gone 4-6 so far on the year, they are in 4th place in the GCL “East” Division.
(I’ve scheduled this to be published, so apologies if anything happened in yesterday’s game to change these numbers.)
All the action after the fold.
- Virgil Hill “Quicksilver Jr.” – 2009 6th Round OF – Virgil has slash lines of: .313/.353/.531. He’s had 2 triples and 3 stolen bases, playing primarily CF.
- Roberto De La Cruz – 2008 July 2nd $1.1 Million Bonus 3B – Roberto is 1-27 to start his professional career with 3 walks and 12 strikeouts. One of the few times he was on base he was caught stealing.
- Hector Hernandez – 2009 10th Round LHP – Hector has pitched in 1 game for .2 innings and allowed 2 hits and no runs.
- Jonathan Rodriquez “J-Rod Part Deux” – 1B – The Cardinals 2009 17th round draft pick out of Puerto Rico has OPS’ed .844 in 28 AB. That number is mostly boosted by an OBP of 486. That OBP is boosted by his 7 walks, leading the team.
- Kleininger Teran – 3B – This 19 year old was signed out of Venezuela in 2006 and is repeating the GCL this year. He leads the team with 15 hits and is slugging .529 so far for the year.
- Ronald Russell – RHP – Ronald was a 49th round 2007 draftee out of HS and appears to have two half GCL seasons in his first two years of his professional career. Russell has a 2.57 ERA so far this year, which is not spectacular. But in 7 innings he has 11 strikeouts to 3 walks.
- Roberto De La Cruz – sadly.
- Amaury Castillo – RHP from the Dominican Republic has given up 12 hits, 10 runs (9 earned) in his 9 innings so far this year. He’s walked 9 and struck out 6. But hey, he’s has a 1-0 record! (sarcasm)
- Tyler Bighames – 2009 31st round selection who signed for over slot (10th round money) – He has been played RF, even though he was drafted as a SS, and has gone 1-11 to start his career. His slash lines are grody at .091/.231/.091.
I tried to pick players that had the most innings or ABs, to try to avoid the players that have only 7 at-bats so far in the year.
Who else has caught your eye in the GCL so far this year?
The pitchers are tough to pick out because only 1 pitcher has double digit innings pitched so far. The hitters are pretty solid with Gerardo Mambell (2B – .348/.464/.348) earning an (slap-hitters) honorable mention.