I’ll have my take on the Matt Holliday trade and more sometime in the next couple days. This trade has so many subplots to it. It has a huge impact on the farm system. It has meaning for Shelby Miller. It says a lot about the front office and the coaching staff. There’s a lot to talk about and I want to make sure that I get all my thoughts in a cohesive manner. Bear with me.
A 4+ hour game for Springfield means I’m jumping straight into the DFR.
This DFR is brought to you by a really lame Comedy Central Presents Chris Porter. Not funny.
- The first four batters (Tyler Greene, Daniel Descalso, Jarrett Hoffpauir, Allen Craig) drew 8 walks between them.
- Adam Ottavino allows 5 runs in 5 innings. Part of the problem here – 3 HRs. He struck out 5, walked 4 and allowed 5 hits. Ottavino’s command has completely abandoned him this season. It’s time for a try in the bullpen.
- Pete Parise struck out the side in a perfect 8th.
- Jim Rapoport was 1-for-4 with 3 walks.
- Troy Glaus was 2-for-5 with a pair of walks. Glaus was dogging it during parts of the game especially on a couple of foul balls. That said, I didn’t see any issues swinging the bat. Turns out he cusses in Springfield just like St. Louis also.
- Arnoldi ‘Tony’ Cruz, Steve Hill and Andrew Brown both had 2 hits including a homerun.
- Pete Kozma was 0-for-5 with 3 strikeouts and 1 walk.
- Colt Sedbrook was 3-for-6.
- Brandon Dickson allowed 7 hits allowing 4 runs (all in the 2nd after SFG had gone up by 4 — promote him to STL).
- Fernando Salas pitched 2 scoreless frames with 2 walks and 1 K.
- Tyler Norrick and Francisco Samuel both strugged with command allowing 1 ER and 3 ER respectively.
- Eduardo Sanches, also not particularly sharp, struck out 2, walked 1 and allowed a hit in 1.1 IP.
- Marco Gonzalez pooed the bed in the 12th allowing 4 runs (3 earned).
Springfield update in the morning. I have a ton of notes on the game and I’ll have reports on several of the players next week after I get to watch them a bit more. NW Arkansas is up 12-9 in the 13th after 4.5 hours. See you in the morning.
- Adron “In My” Chambers went 2-for-5 with a triple.
- Charles Cutler goes 3-for-4 with a double and a walk. He’s hitting .375.
- Curt Smith goes 2-for-5 with a double and a HR.
- Oliver Marmol goes 2-for-4 with a triple.
- David Kopp was lit up for 7 runs in 4 ER. He walked 3 and allowed 6 hits striking out 1. Gotta wonder if the shoulder is 100%.
Quad Cities 8, West Michigan 4 (7 innings)
- Jose Garcia and Alex Castellanos both went 2-for-4. Garcia doubled.
- Osvaldo Morales and Matt Carpenter went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Kevin Thomas struck out 3 in 6 innings allowing 4 runs (3 earned).
- D’Marcus Ingram was 3-for-5 with a double and a triple.
- Rude Rodriguez was 2-for-4.
- Scott Schneider struck out 8 allowing just 3 hits in 5 scoreless frames.
- Joe Kelly picked up the win with 1.2 innings. 1 hit, 1 K, 1BB
- Richard Racobaldo was 2-for-3. Raco is now hitting 410 in JC.
- JC had 4 fielding errors.
- Jason Novak struck out 3 retiring 4 batters. Let’s pretend that’s the only pitcher that was in the game, ok?
- Andrew Moss allowed 4 runs (3 ER) and Reynier Gonzalez got lit up for 8 runs (4 earned).