Big club on ESPN today and the minor leagues on the internet!
New signing Wagner Mateo was in Busch Stadium this afternoon to meet the press and the Cards brass. He also stretched and took batting practice on the field.
Matthew Leach has the story and John Marecek has the photos.
Matt Baker has the news that Trey Hearne was promoted to AAA to take Mitchell Boggs spot in the Memphis rotation. Read into that what you will.
Eddie Degerman has been released and Nick Additon up to Springfield.
- Bullpen Game!
- Kat Maekawa started for Memphis and walked 5 in 2 innings.
- Ian Ostlund stranded 3 of Maekawa’s runners, but gave up 4 runs in his other inning of work.
- Matt Scherer and Pete Parise both gave up lots of runs.
- Royce Ring and Casey Rowlett both pitched shutout innings at the end.
- Mark Hamilton was 4-5 with 2 HRs and 4 RBIs. Welcome back from the DL, kid.
- Khalil Greene was 4-5 with a solo HR as he bemoans his lack of position with the big league club.
- Tyler Greene was 3-5 with a HR and 2 RBIs.
- Allen Craig was 2-3 with a HR and 2 RBIs as well. He added a walk on top. Making his case, making his case.
- Jon Jay was 2-5 with a stolen base.
- Troy Glaus was pulled from the game after 1 at-bat with back spasms…no trade at this time.
- Lance Lynn took the loss over 6 innings. He struck out 4 and walked three while allowing 7 hits. He allowed 3 runs.
- Fernando Salas pitched 2 innings, giving up a run, but striking out 1 and walking 0.
- Eduardo Sanchez struck out 1 in a shutout inning.
- Nick Derba was 1-3 with an RBI double, but is still below his own line.
- Pete Kozma was 1-4 with 2 runs.
- David Freese committed a fielding error.
- Brad Furnish was bad in AA, but is doing well so far at Palm Beach. He shut down Lakeland except for one solo HR.
- Casey Mulligan got the save.
- Domnit Bolivar hit a 3-run HR.
- Oliver Marmol went 1-3 with a double, a walk and 2 steals.
- Aaron Luna, Charles Cutler and Curt Smith all had a hit and run each.
- Richard Castillo took the hard luck loss by giving up 3 runs (1 earned), striking out 5 and walking 2.
- Jason Buursma pitched the 6th inning.
- Domnit Bolivar committed 2 throwing errors.
- Aaron Luna, Chris Swauger and Curt Smith had the only hits (1 each).
- Tommy Pham was 0-2 with 2 walks.
- Miguel Tapia Pudding gave up all 5 runs in 4 innings.
- Adam Veres didn’t help by letting 2 of 2 inherited runners to score. He struck out 1 and walked 1.
- Nick McCully struck out 3 in 1.2 innings of work.
- Matt Frevert finished off the last 1.1 innings.
- Jose Garcia went 3-4 with 2 doubles and an RBI. He also had 2 steals.
- Freddy Parejo was 2-3 with 2 RBIs and a walk.
- Jack Cawley doubled.
- Justin Edwards pitched 6 innings allowing no runs on 4 hits and 2 walks, striking out 2.
- Johnny Bravo pitched 2 shutout innings walking 2 and striking out 3.
- Santo Maertz got the save with 2 strikeouts in 1 inning.
- The muscular Ryde Rodriguez = 2-3 with a run scored.
- Luis De La Cruz, International Man of Mystery, was 1-3 with the 2 RBIs. He also swiped a bag.
- Ryan Jackson was 1-3 with a stolen base.
- Nico Vasquez can has a double.
- Justin Smith started and struck out 6 and walked 4 over 4.2 innings.
- Jose Rada stranded his two runners.
- Jesse Simpson does not get compared to Jessica Simpson today because he struck out 6 in 3 innings work.
- Robert Stock was 3-4 with a double, an RBI and a walk. He should be a wild card in the new look slashed prospect rankings.
- Yunier Castillo went yard.
- Richard Racobaldo went 2-5.
- Matt Adams and Michael Swinson both had 2 hits.