This is the third of the bi-weekly GCL updates. Keep in mind that these stats are to be ingested with a grain of salt as the GCL is the most informal of all American minor leagues.
So, with that in mind, I’ll check in on three “names” on the GCL roster, three players who have played well and three players who have played not so well.
The GCL Cardinals have gone 16-19 so far on the year, they are in 3rd place in the GCL “East” Division.
1. Virgil Hill “Quicksilver Jr.” – 2009 6th Round OF – He is only OPS’ing .520 over the past 14 games.
2. Roberto De La Cruz – 2008 July 2nd $1.1 Million Bonus 3B – He is hitting .323 over the past 14 games. His LD% is going up over the past 14 games and his IFF% and GB% are going down. He is finally starting to make the good contact he was touted for.
3. Hector Hernandez – 2009 10th Round LHP – Hector has a 3.24 ERA on the year and has struck out 16 and only walked 4.
1. Tyler Bighames – RF – Over the past 14 games Tyler has slashed 500/565/850 with an astonishing 37.5 LD%. The high school shortstop is getting adjusted to pro ball and it is good to see.
2. Patrick Daugherty – Daugherty is averaging just over a strikeout per inning and has a FIP on the year of 2.76.
3. Jonathan Rodriguez – Jrod Part Deux was moved up to JC because of his hitting and had an OBP of .462 on the year for the GCL Cardinals.
1. Alberto Rivero – RF signed in 2007 out of Venezula has only 6 hits on the year in 45 at-bats.
2. Amaury Castillo – RHP – The 18 year old out of the DR, who shares my birthday has walked 20 in 18.1 innings and has a 9.00 ERA for the season.
3. Julio Castellano – LHP out of Venezuela has an ERA of 9.95. In 6.1 innings he has walked 6 and allowed 8 hits and 7 runs.
As usual, anyone else you think that is up / down on the year so far for the GCL? Lets hear it.
*All stats are from milb.com and Minor League Splits on August 6th.