“How John Smoltz beat the Cardinals before 1996″
August 12, 1987: Traded by the Detroit Tigers to the Atlanta Braves for Doyle Alexander.
Doyle Alexander – 1987 NLCS
Alexander lost Game 1 and didn’t make it out of the 2nd inning in the deciding Game 5, as the Twins would go on to the WS to defeat the Cardinals.
So, pitch good John. You are a cautionary tale of what ‘going all in’ can sometimes mean.
- Matt Carpenter went 3-for-5 with a double.
- Chris Swauger was 3-for-5 as well.
- Curt Smith dutched a double for an RBI.
- Richard Castillo pitched 6 strong, giving up 4 hits, 1 BB and 5 strikeouts.
- Jared Bradford gave up 2 hits, 2 runs (1 ER) in 1 inning.
- Chrysanthemum Linares struck out 2 in his inning.
- Blake King picked up the win with 2 innings of 1 hit, 1 strikeout ball.
- Richard Racobaldo was 1-for-5 with a double and RBI.
- Crank’s Jason Stidham went 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- Domnit Bolivar was 2-for-4 with a HR.
- Kevin Thomas gave up 3 ER on 3 BB, 6 hits and 2 strikeouts.
- Mark Diapoules took the win with 2 innings of 3 hits, 1 ER and 4 strikeouts.
- David Carpenter picked up his 11th save with a hit and 2 strikeouts.
- Mark Hamilton was 1-for-4 with a double.
- Brandon Yarbrough went nuts. 2-for-4 with 2 doubles and 2 RBI.
- Adam Ottavino apparently wants to finish the season in a flourish. 2-for-3 with 2 RBIs.
- Ottavino also fell 2 outs short of a CG. He gave up 1 ER until the 9th inning, giving up 2 more. Final line: 8.1 IP, 8 hits, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
- Josh Kinney actually pushed across those last 2 runners, giving up a 2 run double. He then finished it off with 2 strikeouts.
- Joe Mather went 1-for-4 in his rehab appearance.
- Andrew Brown went deep.
- Steven Hill (of the IMF) double his pleasure, doubled his fun with double doubles.
- Colt Sedbrook went 2-for-3.
- Scott Gorgen laid an egg. Only got 5 outs and gave up 6 ER on 7 hits. Was tagged with a HR, 2 BB and a strikeout.
- Casey Mulligan struck out 4 in 2.1 IP, giving up 2 BBs.
- Justin Fiske gave up 1 ER on 3 hits and a walk, striking out 3 in his 2 IP.
- Gary Daley continues to do well after his promotion, striking out 1, walking 1 and giving up 2 hits in 2 IP.
- Marco Gonzalez finished off the last inning, giving up another ER on 2 hits (one of which was a HR).
- Micheal Swinson (or is it Samsonite?) hit a double.
- Alan Ahmady drove in 2 in the 13th inning and took 2 BBs.
- Jon Edwards hit a double, going 2-for-4.
- Ivan Castro hit a double.
- Daniel Calhoun only gave up 3 hits and a walk in 5 innings, striking out 3.
- Tyler Leach pitched 3 innings, giving up 2 BBs and 2 Hits, striking out 3.
- Joshua Squatrito goes 2 perfect innings with 4 strikeouts.
- Johnny Bravo was given the win pitching 2.1 perfect innings, striking out 3.
- Santo Maertz got the last 2 outs, one with a strikeout.
- Ted Obregon went 2-for-5.
- Rainel Rosario went 2-for-4 with a double.
- Ross Smith hit a double and drove in 2.
- Zach Russell made 1 mistake in his 5 innings, a HR. The rest was a hit and 5 strikeouts.
- Chris Notti picked up the win with his 2.1 innings on 1 hit, 1 run (unearned) and a strikeout.
- Aaron Terry recorded the save, getting 5 outs on 1 BB and 3 strikeouts.