At the ever-improving Circling the Bases blog, Matthew Pouliot looks at what a completely homegrown Cardinals team would look like today.…, not talking about current farmhands, just former ones. It isn’t pretty.
Mike (St. Louis)
Despite grabbing Miller with the 19th pick you seem down on rest of the Cards draft. Stock has played nicely at JC with a OPS of .924 can he stick a C because I feel his bat will play? Thanks!
When I saw Stock in college he was bad at everything – bad swing, bad approach, bad receiving, bad throwing mechanics. Some of that can be fixed, of course, especially the defense, but I wouldn’t bet on it. Very dangerous to read much into short-season stats for college guys.
Stock has put up some great numbers, but we’re talking about a couple of months in the Appy. I think Stock’s upside is higher than many of the prospects in the system, but let’s not get carried away yet.
Pinch-hitting for the Robotic One, let’s DFR this thing.
Johnson City’s game was canceled. Quad Cities was postponed due to wet grounds.
- Allen Craig went 2-for-5 with his 25th HR of the season. Allen Craig rules.
- Tyler Greene also went yard. Looking forward to the September call-ups.
- Matt Pagnozzi went 2-for-4.
- Tyler Norrick, the Pride of Fesuts, was roughed up for 4 ER over an inning and a third.
NWARK 3, Springfield 2 Game 1
- Bad, Bad Andrew Brown doubled and homered. Brown has put together a respectable .283/.362/.480 line this season. More respectable is his 6 homers in his last 7 games.
- Tony “Don’t call me Arnoldi” Cruz went yard.
- Brandon Dickson allowed 3 ER on 5 H and 2 BB with 6 K. With a decent fastball/cutter, Dickson’s been somewhat of a pleasant surprise this year. I’m not saying he’s a great prospect, but he could possibly work himself into a relief role down the road.
- Eduardo Sanchez went all Francisco Samuel on us. He walked two batters, allowed the the go-ahead run on a balk and threw a wild pitch. He struck out one of the two batters he was able to retire.
SPR 5, NWARK 2 Game 2
- Andrew Brown went 2-for-3.
- Chicken Fried Steven Hill went 3-for-3 with a double.
- Colt Sedbrook went 2-for-3.
- Nick Additon allowed 4 ER over 5.2 IP. He gave up four hits, three walks and struck out 6.
- Blake King allowed an ER on 2 hits with a K over 0.2 innings.
- Yech. Let’s skip the pitching.
- Matt Carpenter went 3-for-5 with a HR.
- Oliver Marmol went 2-for-3 with a double and a walk.
- Curt Smith and Chris Swauger both doubled.
- Kyle Conley went 2-for-3 with a double and a walk. Conley struggled during his brief stay at the Quad Cities, but is hitting .384/.464/.753 since getting demoted to Batavia.
- Jon Edwards also went 2-for-3 with double and a walk.
- Devin Goodwin 3-for-5 with a double.