The Baseball America staffers did something I think is kind of neat, a prospect dream draft. If a player was in this year’s handbook, they were available to draft. The Cardinals had only 8 players drafted, tied with the Yankees and Nationals for the 2nd lowest amount of players drafted. The Astros just had four. Snarketty, snark snark.
- 5th round, 47th overall Shelby Miller
- 11th round, 120th Jaime Garcia
- 19th round, 200th Eduardo Sanchez
- 19th round, 204th Lance Lynn
- 23th round, 247th David Freese
- 24th round, 260th Allen Craig
- 25th round, 274th Francisco Samuel
- 28th round, 300th Robert Stock
Notably absent: Daryl Jones.
Compare this draft to BA’s prospect rankings for the organization:
1. Shelby Miller, rhp
2. Jaime Garcia, lhp
3. Lance Lynn, rhp
4. Daryl Jones, of
5. David Freese, 3b/1b
6. Eduardo Sanchez, rhp
7. Allen Craig, of/1b/3b
8. Blake Hawksworth, rhp
9. Daniel Descalso, 2b
10. Robert Stock, c
Drafted but not in top ten: Francisco Samuel.
Lesson: Fastball velocity is a lot more appealing than a low-ceiling, high-floor player like Descalso. Stock was also taken over Descalso.
I’m still not sure why no DJ Tools. I am starting to think we’re the only ones excited about him, which in turn makes me less excited about him, I think.