Eduardo Sanchez and Shelby Miller are the Cardinal players selected to this year’s Futures Game. My two gripes about the Futures game: I don’t like the World versus US format, and I don’t like how every team has to have two players in the WBC. It leads to some watered down teams and I think it would behoove the MLB to showcase the best overall prospects and not try to be fair to every team or represent several different countries.
Boxscores aggregated daily, XXL version with the Appy having their Opening Night tonight. Onward DFR! Feels good to be sharing the best of the boxscores again as I sub in for Jeff.
- Allen Craig went 3-4 with a double.
- Ruben Gotay went 4-4 with a double
- Evan McLane doubled and pitched a complete game. 10 hits, 6 ER, 2 BB, 4 K and *gah* 3 HR.
- DJ Tools, 3 AB, no hits, 2 K, 2BB. How good are his tools, really?
- Jose Garcia went 2-for-4 with a double
- The Kozmanaut went 1-3 with 2 walks and a stolen base
- Aaron Luna doubled and walked. Luna is walking in 14.6% of his plate appearances.
- Farmer Scott McGregor threw 7.2 innings, 2 R, 0 ER, 4 H, 1 BB, 5 K. 12 outs via ground, three via air. Not shabby for his Double-A debut. McGregor boasted a 58% groundball rate at Palm Beach, but only managed 16 K in 52 innings. On the positive he only walked 13.
- Eduardo Sanchez struck out one, allowed two hits and picked up his 11th save.
I’m guessing this was finishing off a game that was previously started, as Mark Diapoules, who pitched last night for Springfield, has a line of 5 IP, 3 H, 0 BB, 4 K for this game. The only hits came from Charles Cutler, Alex Castellanos and Colt Sedbrook, all of which were singles.
Palm Beach 2, Fort Myers 0 (Game 2)
- Xavier Scruggs went 2-4 with two doubles and two strikeouts
- Jermaine Curtis and Rich “the Rock” Rocobaldo both went 2-4 with a double.
- Newly promoted Scott Schneider: 6 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 3 K
- Tyler Norrick struck out the side to end the game.
- D’Marcus Ingram singled and stole a base
- Audris Perez went 3-4 with a stolen base. Behind the plate he allowed 2 basestealers on three tries.
- Adam Melker went 2-4
- Jose Rada blew the save, allowing 2 ER on 2 H and a walk.
- $500,000 bonus baby Cesar Valera went 0-3 but drew two walks and scored. He played SS. Greg Garcia, one of my favorite draft picks went 0-5 and played 2b. Greg Garcia is considered to be a plus defensive shortstop, so I’m guessing this is a temporary move, but there’s no harm in him getting reps at other positions along the infield. I don’t if the same can be said about Valera’s defense, but he had a pretty ugly game as it pertains to errors tonight. He made two throwing errors and one fielding error. Two of the errors came in the same inning.
- Chris Edmondson went 2-3 with a HR and a walk.
- David Medina doubled.
- Hector Hernandez’s line: 4 IP, 4 H, 6 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 2 HR. Hernandez was a 10th rounder out of Puerto Rico last year.
Things I’ve learned since I’ve last DFR’d: MiLB.com is getting worse, not better.