Congrats to the Memphis Redbirds who made the PCL playoffs in their last regular season game today!
Let’s quickly run down the success of the minor league teams this year. Palm Beach was the only squad not to make the playoffs. This is certainly not a be-all end-all status report of the health of the system, but I can remember recently when the minor league affiliates were in last place in all levels. This is better! Better players make better teams who win more games. Easy right?
Memphis: playoff berth
Springfield: playoff berth as a wild card
Palm Beach: 4.5 GB in the 1st half, 2 GB in the 2nd half
Quad Cities: Won division in 2nd half to make playoffs
Batavia: Won division to make playoffs
Johnson City: Championship!
Congrats to the Cardinals affiliates who made the postseason. On to the end of the regular season DFR!
- Evan Maclane got the start and was not great, but was saved by his relief corps.
- Matt Scherer pitched 1.2 shutout innings, putting out the fire.
- Adam Reifer in his first AAA appearance was asked to hold a 6-6 tie in the 8th in the game to put the Redbirds into the playoffs. No pressure kid. He allowed 1 walk and nothing else in a no-hit shutout inning. It is interesting to see that the Cardinals are giving Reifer is getting a chance in the playoffs and playoff chase for Memphis.
- Josh Kinney got the save.
- Mark Hamilton was the hitter’s hero for the Redbirds. He was 3-4 with a HR and 2 doubles.
- Dan Descalso had a double and a single.
- Allen Craig went 2-4.
- Ryan Kulik got the start in the losing effort, going 5.2 innings scattering 8 hits, striking out 4.
- Scott Gorgen got his 4th appearance since returning from injury and pitched his 4th inning. He walked 2 and allowed no hits and no runs.
- Daryl Jones had the only extra base hit for the Cardinals, a double.
- Matt Carpenter and Aaron Luna each had two singles.
- Jorge Rondon did not have a game to remember as he gave up 7 runs in 4.2 innings. But at least he struck out 9.
- Chris Corrigan and Aaron Terry finished off the game.
- Cody Stanley had a pinch-hit 2 run HR.
- Edgar Lara and Devin Goodwin each had the only other hits in the game.