The Cardinals minor league squads faced off against the Mets. (Aside: The Mets look like a truly terrible major league club this year.) None of the Cardinals high profile pitching prospects were on display but there were some nice performances among the position players.
Memphis 7, Buffalo 3
- Nick Additon tossed two scoreless frames allowing 2 hits and striking out 1.
- Deryk Hooker had a rough outing getting tagged for 3 runs on 4 hits and 2 walks in 1.2IP.
- Sam Freeman struck out 1 and walked 2 in an inning of work.
- Tyler Norrick struck out 1 in a perfect frame.
- Tyler Henley had a banner day going 3-for-3 with a walk. I really like Henley has a bench player that could adequately cover the outfield positions and bring a little pop to the left side of the plate. 2010 was basically a total wash due to injuries and he’s now got Adron Chambers to battle with on the depth chart.
- Jose Garcia was 2-for-4 with a double.
- James Rapport doubled and walked.
Springfield 5, Binghamton 5
- Arquimedes Nieto allowed 1 run on 1 hit and a walk. He struck out 2 in 2 innings.
- Curt Smith and Jermaine Curtis both had solo HRs.
- Ryde Rodriguez was 2-for-2 with a double.
- Zach Cox was 2-for-2.
- Outfielder Antonio DeJesus tripled.
Palm Beach 6, St. Lucie 7
- Justin Wright allowed 1 ER on 3 hits in two innings of work. He also struck out 4 in the outing.
- Ryan Copeland was touched up for 3 ER in 2 innings on 1 walk and 4 hits. He struck out 1.
- Rainel Rosario was 2-for-4 with a 3-run HR. Rosario was only in Quad Cities for the last third of the year or so but he performed well while there. With a 15% walk rate and tremendous power output, he’s interesting. I’ve seen him in person and I wouldn’t put those stats with my impression of him but something was certainly clicking.
- Edgar Lara and Travis Tartamella were 2-for-2.
- Francisco Rivera was 1-for-1 with a double and a walk.
- Nick Longmire doubled.
Quad Cities 2, Savannah 4
- Houston Summers (best baseball name currently in the Cardinals system?) had a rough outing allowing an ER on 3 hits and 2 walks in 2 IP.
- Angel DeJesus struck out 2 and allowed 1 hit in 2 innings.
- 2011 draftee Tyler Lyons pitched two frames. He stuck out 3 against 2 hits allowing an unearned run.
- Adam Melker was 3-for-4.
- Victor Sanchez went 2-for-4.
- Oscar Taveras doubled.
Thanks to Farm Director John Vuch and his staff for compiling the notes during spring training that make these reports possible.