Memphis 8, Springfield 3
- Lance Lynn threw 6.2 innings allowing 4 hits and 3 walks. He struck out 4 and kept runners from crossing home plate.
- Adam Reifer got tagged for 3 runs on 4 hits in his inning of work.
- Eduardo Sanchez (can we call him fast Eddie?) pitched a scoreless frame walking 1 and striking out 1.
- Pete Kozma was 3-for-3 with a double and 3 runs scored.
- Shane Robinson was 3-for-3 with a double and 3 RBIs.
- Tony Cruz, Donovan Solano and Daryl Jones all went 2-for-3.
- Raul Valdes struck out 3 in 4 innings. He allowed 2 runs (1 earned) on 3 hits.
- Nick Greenwood had a perfect frame with three groundouts. Interesting to see him in the upper leagues of the scrimmage. Greenwood spent 2009 with the Padres short season club, the Eugene Emeralds, in the Northwest League. This would be roughly equivalent to the Cardinals Batavia club in the New York Penn League. In 2010, Greenwood started out with the Fort Wayne Tin Caps — they of the angry apple in a . . . well, tin cap before becoming a Quad City River Bandit via the Ryan Ludwick trade. At 23 — he’ll be 24 in September — Greenwood doesn’t need to be coddled by a jump to Springfield seems unlikely when official roster assignments get released.
- Casey Mulligan was lit up for 4 ER on 5 hits while retiring just 1 batter.
- Ryan Jackson was 2-for-4.
- Tyler Henley was 2-for-3.
- Alex Castellanos, Aaron Luna and Niko Vasquez all had a hit and walked. Castellanos doubled.
- Matt Adams hit a 2-run home run.
Palm Beach 4, Quad Cities 3
- John Gast allowed just an unearned run over 4 innings of work. He struck out 5 and walked 1 allowing 4 hits.
- Phillip Cerreto recorded the game winning hit with a 2-run single in the 9th off Dean Kiekhefer.
- Zach Cox was 2-for-4.
- Luis Mateo was 2-for-2.
- Mike O’Neill walked and singled in four trips to the plate.
- Anthony Ferrara struck out 5 in 4 innings of work walking 2 and allowing 2 hits.
- Drew Benes struck out 4 in his 2 IP. Benes was tagged for one run on 3 hits.
- Aiden Lucas pitched a perfect inning.
- Michael Swinson was 2-for-2 and reached after being HBP.
- Adam Melker walked twice.
Thanks to Farm Director John Vuch and staff for compiling the game notes that make the spring training DFRs possible.