The farm went 2-1, Shelby Miller was up to his old tricks, and Springfield was rained out against Tulsa. The details after the break!
- Raul Valdes pitched 6 innings and gave up 7 H, 1 R, 2 BB, and recorded 3 K’s
- Adron Chambers and Tony Cruz both went yard for their only hit of the night
- Matt Carpenter was 1-2 with 1 RBI and 2 walks, as he continues to show very good patience at the plate. The third-base situation will be interesting to watch unfold over the next month, as the Cardinals will give Craig, Descalso, Punto, and even Greene shots at playing time. If Carpenter starts displaying the power he had last year, he may force the hand of the Cardinals if none of the other candidates respond to the challenge. Check out the detailed post earlier today from Tim for some good info. regarding Carpenter’s situation.
- Pete Kozma hit 1-4, while his OPS hovers below .500
Baseball America Top 15 – Florida Marlins
- Alan Ahmady belted two doubles and went 3-4 with 3 RBI’s. He has 15 walks compared to 13 K’s early on this season, which has led to a nice slash line of .357/.483/.414. He doesn’t have the power to stick at 3rd or 1st base, but he has displayed very good patience going back to his days at Fresno State. The Cardinals have been grooming him for a UTIL role, so I’d love to see a scouting report on his defense.
- Zack Cox went 2-4 with 1 RBI. He’s sporting a .307 SLG% through 101 at bats, but we’re still looking at a sample size here.
- Xavier Scruggs went 2-4 with the only other extra-base hit for the Cardinals (a double) and 1 RBI
- Shelby Miller put the worst start of his young career in his rear-view mirror and put up a line of 6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 3 BB, and 10 K. He has 42 K’s in 28 innings, and 7 of his 13 walks came in his last start.
- Chris Corrigan, Tyler Lyons, and Sam Freeman combined to pitch 3 shutout innings. Corrigan allowed 3 base runners, but Lyons got out of the jam.
Baseball America Top 15 – Pittsburgh Pirates
- Nick Longmire finally showing some extra-base power with 2 doubles, going 2-5 w/ 1 RBI
- Patrick Elkins hit 2-3 with 2 walks
- Yunier Castillo was 2-4 with a triple
- Zach Russell was shaky in his 5 IP, giving up 4 runs (3 earned). He gave up 2 HR, 6 H, and 2 BB
- Angel De Jesus and Keith Butler combined for 4 shutout innings and 5 strike outs
- We had 2 goats of the game. Frederick Parejo earned a , while Kyle Conley added that + 1. I googled what we’re supposed to call 5 K’s in a game, and wikipedia shot out “olympic rings” or a platinum sombrero. Not sure Conley cared enough to do the same.
Baseball America Top 15 – Milwaukee Brewers