Quad Cities got the day off, while the rest of the farm went 2-1. Find out which team nearly got no-hit after the break…
Memphis 5, Fresno 4 in 14 innings
- Memphis was hitless through 7 innings before Tony Cruz broke it up in the 8th with a single. Memphis ended up coming from behind to take the lead 4-3 in the 8th, but Marte blew the save. The Redbirds ended up winning the game on a sacrifice fly by Donovan Solano in the 14th inning.
- James Rapoport went hitless in the leadoff spot, but he had 4 walks
- There was 1 extra-base hit in 14 innings for Memphis, and that came off of the bat of Nick Stavinoha for his only hit
- Nobody else in the lineup did anything of note, but Daryl Jones scored after pinch-hitting for a hit
- Brandon Dickson gave up 3 runs in 7 innings, walked 1, but only had 1 K. 12 of his 17 outs that reached the field were groundballs
Baseball America Top 15 – San Francisco Giants
1. Brandon Belt (1B/OF, 4/20/1988) went 2-6 with a double and walk. Here’s the name of another prospect you probably already know. Having made the team out of Spring Training, Belt struggled in a limited sample of 52 at-bats. He showed good patience at the plate, but struck out at a high rate and didn’t make consistent enough contact to convince the Giants he was ready for the Show. Ranked as No. 23 in Baseball America’s Top 100, Belt shows very good plate discipline, the potential for above average power, and stellar defense at 1st base with the ability to play a corner outfield spot. He also shows a very good split against righties and lefties. Don’t expect him to stay down for long, because he’s already displaying a 1.100 OPS in ~70 at-bats with 23 walks, and the Giants are going to need the offense whenever they feel he’s ready.
- The whole offense contributed evenly tonight, as 5 of the following players had 2 hits each:
- -Jermaine Curtis had 2 singles
- -Ryan Jackson had a single and double with 2 RBI’s and a walk
- -Alex Castellanos hit a solo bomb and finished with 3 RBI’s
- -Niko Vasquez added 2 singles and a walk
- -Eric Duncan belted 2 doubles with 2 RBI’s and a walk
- Chris Swauger had to 1-up them, going 3-5 with a double
- Matt Adams was the only hitless Springfield batter, but he contributed 3 walks
- Michael Blazek had more than enough offensive help to get the win, as he gave up 5 runs (3 earned), 7 hits, and 2 walks in 5 IP. He struck out 5
Baseball America Top 15 – Los Angeles Angels of…..you know what comes next
- D’Marcus Ingram led off with 2 walks and a single
- Zack Cox went 1-3 with a walk. After recording only 2 extra-base hits in his first ~100 at bats, Cox has 5 XBH in his last 6 games. You’d like to see the walks go up, but he’s posting a respectable .766 OPS.
- Edgar Lara hit 1-3 with a double, walk, and 2 RBI’s. He had their only extra-base hit
- John Gast was ineffective, giving up 11 hits (3 extra bases), 5 runs, and 2 walks in 6 IP. He struck out 6
Baseball America Top 15 – New York Yankees