The St. Louis Post-Dispatch via dgoold has the 5 international free agents the Cardinals signed today:
- Dewin Perez, LHP, 6-0, 175 lbs.; Born: Sept 29, 1994 (Cartagena, Colombia)
- Eliezer Alvarez, SS, S/R, 5-11, 165; Born: Oct 15, 1994 (Santiago, Dominican Republic)
- Jose Godoy, C, L/R, 5-11, 180; Born: Oct 13, 1994 (Maracaibo, Venezuela)
- Alirio Negrette, LHP, 5-11, 176; Born: March 29, 1995 (Maracaibo, Venezuela)
- Luis Arias, RHP, 6-3, 180; Born: July 6, 1993 (Bonao, Dominican Republic)
Dewin Perez got a $450,000 bonus.
Perez is undersized at 5-foot-11 but scouts have seen the hurler sit in the high 80s with a good delivery and show a feel for his offspeed stuff, according to Badler (subscription req’d). The youngster is a solid athlete and a former switch-hitting outfielder.
Back to dgoold, here is Lunhow on their approach to the market this year:
“When it came to looking at the investment we could make (in this market), we could have gone all-in on one guy or spread it around on a few. We decided to go on the latter.”
So, do not hold your breath for the Cardinals to nab any of the top unsigned guys in Latin America. Considering the uncertainty of the 16 year olds signed and how they will progress, that is not necessarily a cheap or unwise option. Having more mid-range prospects who could develop gives you more chances to turn one into a major leaguer.