Quad Cities picked up the series sweep tonight against Clinton. Their season will now continue as they move on to round two of the playoffs. Let’s take a look at what went down in the clinching game.
On to the DFR!
Quad Cities 5, Clinton 3
- In the first inning, Anthony Ferrara got two quick outs before giving up a solo HR and 2 singles. He killed that threat but gave up a lead off HR in the 6th, followed by a walk and a RBI double to give Clinton 3 runs and put them out in front. He finished the night with 6 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 2 BB and 5 K.
- Jonathan Rodriguez was the offensive star again tonight. He walked in the 2nd, moved into scoring position on an error and scored on a Colin Walsh single. In the bottom of the 6th, he ignited the Quad Cities comeback by driving in Oscar Tavares (1-for-4) who had walked with a RBI 2B. Cody Stanley (1-for-3) doubled him home.
- Colin Walsh, who finished 3-for-3 with 3 singles and 2 RBI drove in Stanley in the 6th for the winning run following Nick Longmire’s tying sacrifice fly. Walsh also walked and scored in the 9th.
- Geoffrey Klein went 3-for-4.
- With the Riverbandits in the lead following the 6th, the bullpen locked the game down.
- Drew Benes pitched the 7th and 1 batter in the 9th, giving up 2 H.
- Justin Edwards walked 1 batter in the 8th after getting a fly out and grounded into force play. He got the last batter to fly out to end the inning.
- The 9th belonged to Dean Kiekhefer and he logged the save with 3 groundouts and a single.
Depending on how much longer this postseason run goes, this may be my last DFR of the year. If so, a pleasure as always and if I don’t see you before, see you in the spring!