Jaime Garcia has the best day in the minors but that seems like cheating so I’ll point you towards Sam Gaviglio’s line. There were lots of high powered offense lines today but Xavier Scruggs 3-homerun game takes the win. Greg Garcia continues to hit as well.
Memphis 4, New Orleans 3
- Jaime Garcia pitched 6 innings striking out 7 and walking no one. He allowed 4 hits and 2 runs (1 earned).
- Jess Todd pitched a perfect frame striking out 1.
- Eduardo Sanchez struck out 2 in his inning of work.
- Steve Hill hit 2 homers.
- Mark Hamilton was 2-for-4 with a double and a walk. Hamilton’s been in the organization since being drafted in 2006.
- Zack Cox doubled and walked twice.
Springfield 7, Jacksonville 10
- John Gast allowed 6 hits in 5 innings. He struck out 3 and walked 1 for 4 ER. After Nick Additon, Gast has advanced the furthest of current left-handed starting prospects within the Cardinals system.
- Xavier Scruggs hit 3 homeruns in today’s game. Game notes indicate he was working all fields as well with one to right field, left field and right centerfield.
- Greg Garcia was 3-for-4 with a triple and a homerun.
- Kolten Wong doubled and walked twice.
Palm Beach 3, Jupiter 3
- Zach Russell pitched 4 innings allowing 3 hits and 2 runs (1 earned). He struck out 4.
- Danny Miranda pitched a pair of perfect innings striking out 2.
- Jonathan Rodriguez was 2-for-4 with a homerun. I think Rodriguez was a little overlooked in 2010. He put together strong numbers in the MWL with a .389 OBP and a .221 ISO. The question for him moving forward will be what position he’ll play. Likely limited to either 1B or the corner outfields — though 3B isn’t completely a lost cause — he’ll have to keep producing offensively to make the majors.
- Chris Edmondson was 2-for-3 with a pair of doubles.
Quad Cities #1 5, Greensboro 0
- Sam Gaviglio pitched 4 innings allowing no hits and 1 walk. He struck out 2. Gaviglio intrigues me in as much as he’s a first day draft pick and mainly gets by on his sinker. Keep an eye on his groundball rate this year.
- Ricky Martinez and Jose Pasen each pitched a pair of scoreless frames allowing 1 hit. Pasen struck out 1.
- Ryan Copeland pitched 1 inning allowing 1 hit.
- Roberto DeLaCruz and Colin Walsh went 2-for-4 with a double.
- Adam Lewis was 2-for-3.
- Nick Martini was 1-for-3 with a walk.
Quad Cities #2 9, Jamestown 3
- Dail Villanueva was knocked around in his 3.2 IP allowing 6 hits and 3 ER. He struck out 4 and walked 1.
- Ramon Ulacio pitched 2 innings allowing 1 walk and 1 strikeout.
- Ethan Cole struck out 3 in 2 innings of work with 1 walk.
- Gary Apelian hit a homerun in a 2-for-3 effort.
- Casey Rasmus was 2-for-2 with a pair of doubles.
- David Washington was 1-for-2 with a homerun.
- Jeremy Patton was 2-for-5.