Shelby Miller ALERT!
Past future redbird Lance Lynn mowed down the Brewers in his first start for 2012 putting up 8 Ks with no walks and only a pair of hits. The next prospect in line for a rotation slot, Shelby Miller, struggled somewhat in his AAA debut. Just two games in the Cards system today but still plenty of top prospecty goodness. Oh, and I’m Juan Iglesias AKA purple_haze, from that other Cardinals blog with the weird Spanish name. It’s good to see you all in church this evening.
- Shelby Miller threw only 67 pitches in 3 innings of work after getting knocked around for 7 hits and 4 earned runs including a homer by wayward ex-Redbird Brett Wallace. He also took a liner off the forearm in the first inning. Miller was still able to strike out 4 and walk no one, so it wasn’t a complete disaster.
- Adam Reifer and Maikel Cleto each threw a perfect frame with a strikeout.
- Eduardo Sanchez continues to concern with his wildness, managing to walk a pair and give up three doubles plus a single in his two thirds of an inning.
- Matt Adams did not hit a home run. He did, however, go 1-3 with a walk. I’m not sure if I’m more encouraged by his home runs or his walks at this point.
- Zach Cox was 2-4.
- Cedric Hunter, the organization’s newest acquisition, was 2-4 with the Redbirds’ only extra base hit of the afternoon.
- Michael Blazek gave up 5 earned runs on 8 hits in his 4 innings. He walked 3 and struck out only 1.
- Eric Fornataro struck out a pair in a perfect inning.
- Oscar Taveras, the youngest player in the Texas League, was 3-5 with his first home run and a double playing DH today. He also struck out twice.
- Kolten Wong demonstrated his on base prowess going 2-3 with two walks and a stolen base. Sounds like a future lead off hitter to me.
- Jose Garcia was 2-5 with a double.
- Rainel Rosario was 2-3 with a walk.
- Xavier Scruggs hit his first home run of the year. Scruggs has hit a bit of a wall in the organization, bouncing between A+ and AA for the past couple years. He’s got plenty of power but he’ll need to cut down on the strike outs this year to make it to the next level.
- Nick Derba was 2-4 with a double.