Short day with rather unattractive starts for both pitchers. Two middle infielders headline the position players.
- Ryan Jackson was 2-for-4 with a double and a walk.
- Jaime Romak was 3-for-5.
- Eugenio Velez was 3-for-5.
- Shelby Miller pitched 5 innings allowing 4 runs on 7 hits. He struck out 5 and walked 2 allowing 2 home runs. Not to excuse the somewhat tepid results Miller has gotten or the reports of decreased velocity but if I was playing on a team where the lineup featured one prospect (Jackson), I’d be bored and uninspired as well. I have a hard time getting worked up over Miller’s performance in Memphis given the team that Memphis is fielding.
- Jess Todd pitched a scoreless 1 hit, 1 strikeout inning. I never really understood why other teams gave up on Todd so quickly. It looks like there is still something there with 30 strikeouts in 28 innings and just 6 walks.
- Starlin Rodriguez was 2-for-3 with a home run and a walk. Rodriguez (22) is hitting .310/.391/.443 in the Florida State League. He’s arguably the best hitter on the team but certainly the best position prospect considering he plays second base.
- Brad Watson was torched for 7 runs on 6 hits in 5.1 innings. He walked 3 and struck out 5.