Quad Cities gets rained out. Shelby Miller continues a streak of bad results mixed with what looks like some bad luck. The top prospects in Springfield continue to hit.
- Memphis had an abysmal game all around. The offense tallied 1 single and 3 walks the entire game.
- The Zephyrs were running wild on Shelby Miller and Bryan Anderson with three stolen bases.
- Eugenio Velez committed 2 errors in the game.
- Shelby Miller had the kind of outing that actually does give me pause. He walked 3 batters in 4.2 innings and only struck out 3. Miller was responsible for 7 runs (5 earned) and 7 hits including another home run. Miller is suffering some terrible luck on balls in play and it doesn’t help that his defense (Memphis is second only to Fresno in unearned runs) but working around errors by your defense is inevitably part of the game. Miller’s season is no where near as bad as it looks on paper but he’s not a perfect prospect right now.
- Kolten Wong was 2-for-5 with his 7th home run of the season.
- Oscar Taveras was 1-for-3 with a double and a walk.
- Jake Shaffer was 2-for-4.
- Travis Tartamella was 2-for-4 with a double. Without really checking, it seems to me that outside of Juan Castillo, the Cardinals minor league catching core is having a really bad offensive year.
- Scott Gorgen had a solid outing striking out 6 in 7 innings of work. He walked 2 and allowed 7 hits for 2 runs. Having missed over an entire season, Gorgen’s 2012 campaign looks very successful so far with a 2:1 K:BB rate and a better than league average FIP.