Posted on July 15th, 2012 by azruavatar in Daily Farm Reports
Only Quad Cities losses in today’s DFR. A decent if unspectacular outing by Shelby Miller and a good outing from Carlos Martinez headline the day.
Memphis 5, Round Rock 3
- Adron Chambers was 1-for-4 with a walk. Interestingly, he played centerfield in favor of recently optioned Shane Robinson.
- Robinson had a great night at the plate, however, going 3-for-3 with a triple and a walk.
- Shelby Miller pitched 5 scoreless innings allowing just 1 hit. He walked 3 and struck out 4. I haven’t tried to verify this but an unsolicited reader e-mail this week pointed toward Miller’s inability to command his secondary pitches as the cause of the walks. Take that for what it’s worth.
- Adam Reifer pitched a scoreless inning striking out 1.
- Sam Freeman picked up the win with a scoreless inning.
Springfield 5, NW Arkansas 1
- Oscar Taveras was 3-for-3 with a walk. The 20 year old Taveras leads the Texas League in batting average by a healthy margin currently.
- Chris Swauger was 1-for-4 with a HR.
- Carlos Martinez struck out 3 in 6 innings of work. He allowed 1 run (a solo shot) amidst 2 hits and 2 walks.
- Jorge Rondon struck out 3 in 2 perfect innings.
Palm Beach 9, Daytona 6
- Tyler Rahmatulla was 3-for-5 with a triple and a walk.
- Chris Edmondson was 2-for-3 with a walk.
- Rainel Rosario was 2-for-4 with a home run and a walk. After posting a .900+ OPS in the Quad Cities during 2010, Rosario is settling into a second disappointing season at Palm Beach.
- Ronnie Gil was 3-for-5 with 3 doubles.
- Anthony Ferrara was beat up for 10 hits in 6 innings of work. He allowed 6 runs (5 earned) while walking 2 and striking out 4.
- Dean Kiekhefer picked up his 10th save with a perfect frame.
Quad Cities 3, Great Lakes 9
- Matt Williams was 2-for-5.
- Casey Rasmus was 3-for-4 with a double.
- After a 1-for-4 night with a double, 2012 draftee Stephen Piscotty is hitting .298/.365/.491.
- David Medina was 1-for-2 with a double and a pair of walks.
- Dail Villanueva failed to make it out of the third inning allowing 8 runs in 2.1 innings of work. He walked 3 and was tagged for 6 hits while striking out 2. One of the hits was a grand slam.
- Ricky Martinez pitched 3.1 innings allowing 3 hits and 1 run. He struck out 2 and walked 1.
Batavia 2, Aberdeen 1
- Alex Mejia (SS) was 3-for-3 with a double.
- Breyvic Valera (2B) was 0-for-4.
- Patrick Wisdom (DH) was 0-for-4.
- Tyler Melling struck out 6 in 5.2 innings of work. He allowed just 1 run on 6 hits walking no one.
- Yunier Castillo somehow managed to not allow a run despite allowing 3 hits in his inning of work. He struck out 1.
- 2012 draftee Lee Stoppelman is — after 1.1 innings last night — up to 13 scoreless innings of professional baseball with 15 strikeouts and 2 walks.
Johnson City 11, Kingsport 3
- Idemaro Vargas (2B) was 2-for-4 with a walk.
- Ronard Castillo (LF) was 2-for-4.
- Bruce Caldwell (SS) was 2-for-4 with a home run.
- Carson Kelly (3B) was 1-for-4 with a home run.
- Lance Jeffries (RF) was 2-for-3 with a triple.
- Stalyn Lopez struck out 7 in 5 innings pitched. He allowed 1 run on 5 hits and 2 walks.
- Sam Tuivailala pitched a scoreless but messy inning. He walked 2 and allowed a hit while striking out 2. It’ll be a while before he cleans up his delivery most likely.