Batavia had to win both of the games in their double-header today to have a chance at the playoffs, but they lost both of them. Springfield, however, overcame a disappointing outing from Carlos Martinez to take game 1 of the Texas League’s North Division Series thanks to Chris Swauger‘s power display. Details after the jump…
Springfield 8, Tulsa 6 (Texas League’s North Division Series – Game 1, Final in 10 innings)
- Chris Swauger swatted 3 HRs, accounting for 4 of Springfield’s RBIs. During the regular season, Swauger hit 13 HRs in 352 PAs. His slugging (.474) was 2nd to Oscar Taveras (.572) for players with 250+ PAs at double-A Springfield, but his isolated power (.175) ranked 4th on the team behind Taveras (.251), Xavier Scruggs (.207), and Jamie Romak (.185).
- Greg Garcia also homered, though his was slightly more efficient, bringing in 3 runs.
- Xavier Scruggs was 2-for-4.
- Kolten Wong, Jermaine Curtis, Oscar Taveras, and Jamie Romak singled.
- Carlos Martinez had a poor start: 4 IP, 6 R, 7 H (2 HR), 3 BB, & 2 K. He allowed 2 runs over each of the first 3 frames before pitching a clean 4th inning.
- Justin Wright (2 IP, 1 K) and Deryk Hooker (1 IP, 1 K) combined for 3 perfect innings.
- Eric Fornataro contributed another 2 scoreless innings that included 2 H & 1 K.
- Keith Butler picked up the save: 1 IP, 1 K.
Batavia 0, Jamestown 1 (Game 1)
- Batavia was only able to scrounge up 3 singles in the first game. They belonged to Danny Stienstra, Steven Ramos, and Bruce Caldwell.
- Breyvic Valera, Danny Stienstra, and David Washington drew walks.
- Tyler Melling pitched well: 4 IP, 0 R, 3 H, 0 BB, & 3 K.
- Corey Baker took the loss but wasn’t terrible: 2 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 0 BB, & 1 K.
Batavia 2, Jamestown 3 (Game 2)
- Jacob Wilson hit his 6th HR.
- Matthew Young was 2-for-3.
- Reggie Williams walked.
- Ildemaro Vargas, David Washington, and Kolby Byrd singled.
- Tim Cooney was pulled after 1 inning and 3 runs (2 earned) on 2 H & 1 BB.
- Joseph Scanio had a strong appearance: 3 IP, 0 R, 2 H, & 3 K.
- Kevin Jacob followed suit: 2 IP, 0 R, 2 K.
BONUS COVERAGE: Congrats to Shelby Miller, who debuted at Busch Stadium today and struck out 4 in 2 innings! It’s great to see him experience some success and reassert himself after a trying first half. What a difference a couple of months can make, eh?